First major anniversaries:
- First vows were on 25 March 1989, the Solemnity of the Annunciation, which that year was the Easter Vigil. Perpetual vows were on 25 December 1991, the Solemnity of the Birth of Jesus. That was 25 years ago.
- Priestly ordination was on 4 January, 1992, the feast day of the first native born American citizen to be canonized a saint, Elizabeth Ann Seton. That will be 25 years ago this coming Wednesday.
Those with more than twice that wonder why I even mention this. Anyway, other than those anniversaries, it’s been…
- 40 years ago last 12 July at night that I carried the Fatima statue of Mary at the candle-light procession at the Sanctuary of Our Lady of Fatima in Portugal as a Fatima “Cadet.”
- 40 years ago (more or less) when my shadow stole my identity (all my ducks, that is docs, being conveniently in a row for having gotten the passport to go to Fatima).
- 20 years ago when the State Department offered me a false identity without me asking for it. (But if anyone wants to know: I AM DAVID).
- 10 years ago this coming Spring since I’ve defended the thesis on Genesis 2:4–3:24. Instead of David, a wise old religious brother in Italy took one look at me and exclaimed for all the world to hear that I AM EZEKIEL (who wrote Genesis 2:4–3:24).
Meanwhile, time marches on:
And should anyone erroneously think that that’s an inappropriate video for a Jewish Catholic priest to play on his 25th anniversary of priestly ordination, know that a priest is married to the Church by the Sacrifice of the Mass he offers in Persona Christi. Jesus recited his wedding vows at the great wedding banquet of the Last Supper united with Calvary: This is my body given you you in sacrifice, my blood poured out for you in sacrifice… Total self giving, making us the members of his body as Saint Paul says.
It’s enough to make one want to dance (my dad being a “Jarhead” of course):
Good marriages are worthy of a good dance. You know what I’m thinking of. Having some good fun with some of the other priests brought me plenty of condemnation. But that’s O.K. I Am David. I can take it. :-)
Greetings to friends in המוסד. I hope to make it to the other side of 2017 alive and well. I hope you do too. There are other big anniversaries coming up in 2017 and 2018. Please, be careful June 5-10 of 2017. I fear for you.