- Providence provided under incredible circumstances, no cost to me
- (reportedly, we’ll see, with papers) pure-bred German Shepherd
- Pure black, not a spot of white or tan anywhere, not chest, not feet
- Straight back, as usual for the all-black variety
- Double-coat, laughing at what never counts as really “cold” weather in WNC
- Almost four feet from nose to rump plus another 19 inches for the tail
- Edging toward 27 inches tall
- At this extraordinarily massive size, even for a GSD, jaw strength competes with the strongest in the world, the Rottweiler
- Not neutered, super-friendly, gentle, knows who boss, but totally doesn’t know his own strength, or does
- Can put his front paws on your shoulders as you stand straight up
- At 12 1/2 months old, had total control of his owners all of his short life (I saw this up-close)
- Not trained in any way at all, except possibly, to be disobedient (jaw dropping)
- Never fed any kind of normal diet, hanging out at the high school cafeteria, so, possibly, the absolutely worst diet a GSD could have ever (that’s just upsetting)
- Can he break a training bite-arm in one bite?
- Can he learn how to learn, even though the talent has been suppressed by the previous owners?
- Even if he is untrainable (I doubt that), his perpetual presence at all the vulnerable parts of the rectory is already an invaluable asset and most appreciated
- Laudie-dog, in her house, utterly dwarfed by “Shadow”
- A bit of turf wars were at foot during the first day, but now they are friends
- I was really happy to see little Laudie-dog hold her ground with no fear at all, tolerating no hanky-panky, she being fixed, but not he, but she setting proper boundaries immediately, he now behaving as a gentleman, er, gentledog
Tips for training such a smart dog:
- I have no idea. Have you?