Everything is absolutely always and in every way collected. Turn off your phone, take out the battery and sim-card, and twice as much info is sent to google the second you turn on your phone. You can’t actually turn off your phone. There’s a second battery for emergency purposes. You can always call 911 regardless of no main battery and no sim card and no contract. Your phone always collects your location in extreme detail, such as logging when you are in your car or just stepped outside of your car. That google capitalizes on this is a bit over the top.
Anyway, certainly when your phone is on all speech is instantaneously turned into text and analyzed – for marketing, of course – and this works spectacularly. I mention one thing in a non-phone conversation and it instantaneously shows up in search results and especially in YouTube suggestions. Awesome, but a bit creepy and invasive. One objection I have is the storage on google-servers of privileged conversations.
- Imagine: business deals and insider information. Lots of power and money there.
- Imagine: attorney-client privilege. Lots of power and control there.
- Imagine: doctor-patient privilege. Lots of power and messing around there.
- Imagine: Counselor-client privilege. Lots of power of manipulation there.
- Imagine: NSA, CIA, FBI et other alphabet agencies analogously making stuff available…
- Imagine: Priest-Penitent Seal of Confession privileges…
There should be law regulating possession of a phone anywhere near a Confessional or anywhere near any Sacramental Confession wherever it is, both on the Confessor’s part and on the part of the Penitent. Pockets or purses don’t work. Really. Not.