The first encounter I had with the the following prayer was when a great priest, that is, a real believer, close to Christ our God, gave me a prayer card with this prayer on the back. I was a pre-first year kind-of-discerning seminarian, right after high school.
- Keep them, I pray Thee, dearest Lord, keep them, for they are Thine – Thy priests whose lives burn out before Thy consecrated shrine.
- Keep them, for they are in the world, though from the world apart; when earthly pleasures tempt, allure – shelter them in Thy heart.
- Keep them, and comfort them in hours of loneliness and pain, when all their lives of sacrifice for souls seems but in vain.
- Keep them, and O remember, Lord, they have no one but Thee, yet they have only human hearts, with human frailty.
- Keep them as spotless as the Host, that daily they caress; their every thought and word and deed, Deign, dearest Lord, to bless.
Our Father… Hail Mary… Glory Be…
10 responses to “Keep them, I pray Thee, dearest Lord…”
What a beautiful prayer. What a beautiful vocation is the priesthood.
That is such a beautiful prayer – may we never take our Priests for granted but always value their continued presence in our lives and show them our gratitude.
This one is lovely!
We have forgotten to pray for our priests. They are called to a beautiful and very hard life full of pitfalls and temptations. Yes, Dear Lord, keep them.
Printed this out to add to my daily prayers…
Amen, amen, amen!
Dear Father, it is such joy to hear from you. I’ve been saying Aves many times a day for all of you. I intend to continue. Thank you 🙏 for all the dear Lord is doing with you all. AMDG Mildred
ahhhh, yes, thank you Father! Question: What are the numbers and words surrounding the holy priest at “this is My Body” ?
Mass, say, at 6:00am, right around the world. Mass clock.