The first encounter I had with the the following prayer was when a great priest, that is, a real believer, close to Christ our God, gave me a prayer card with this prayer on the back. I was a pre-first year kind-of-discerning seminarian, right after high school.
- Keep them, I pray Thee, dearest Lord, keep them, for they are Thine – Thy priests whose lives burn out before Thy consecrated shrine.
- Keep them, for they are in the world, though from the world apart; when earthly pleasures tempt, allure – shelter them in Thy heart.
- Keep them, and comfort them in hours of loneliness and pain, when all their lives of sacrifice for souls seems but in vain.
- Keep them, and O remember, Lord, they have no one but Thee, yet they have only human hearts, with human frailty.
- Keep them as spotless as the Host, that daily they caress; their every thought and word and deed, Deign, dearest Lord, to bless.
Our Father… Hail Mary… Glory Be…